Sunday 5 June 2016

Week 2 // Controlling the Control System

Another week of GSOC is already over! 

This was a mixed week for me with a lot of pros and cons. The week started off slow with me struggling to find my footing with the Mixxx’s ControlObject classes and its various subclass implementations in the code, but by the end of this week I can say that my understanding is so much better now, so much so that I now find it beautiful, the whole Control system! :) 

Programming wise I am much comfortable with C++ now and I think I am beginning to see why it is what it is, a giant among programming languages, especially for certain applications. I can see my skills only growing every week now. 

As per our revised timelines, till about 14th June, which is another week and a half approximately, I am majorly focusing on the POC. With respect to the POC, for the purpose of generating predetermined MIDI info, I will be using the low-mid-high EQ knobs and the crossfader for now. This week I worked on writing a script for modifying these values (still tweaking it around as its not running robustly) through a wrapper. 

So where do I stand right now?
I am tweaking around my code snippet to change the values as per the detected BPM, based on a particular track which I have taken as standard for now to start with. 

What is my next step?
Once this code snippet works perfectly on a single track, I will be applying it to different decks, of same BPM song and then hopefully different BPM ones soon as well (possibly by the end of the this POC I will be including some other effects as well).

I actually was a little lost this week in code but with some direction from my mentor I was able to focus on the right parts of the code. But overall, I think I am in sync with my plan with respect to the POC implementation. Week 2 was much fun because by the end of it my understanding of Mixxx increased.


See you next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment